FOR years after 1996, the area now known as Gasworks was an overgrown wasteland, languishing behind a wire fence. At last around 2004, something began happen, and the catchword of the day was ‘remediation’. This required innumerable truckloads of waste ground being carted away, to be replaced by clean material of the kind you see […]
THE new year starts on a very positive note for the Society, with the arrival of more copies of Reflections on New Farm. This is the book’s third reprint since 2008, and marks the milestone of more than 4,000 copies having been sold.
“The steady demand for this book is simply amazing,” says President Ross Garnett, […]
TO all at the New Farm & Districts Historical Society, here’s wishing you a very happy start to 2018. Thanks to SW for this great snapshot from the Queensland State Library Bookshop. It looks as if New Farm & Teneriffe occupy a key spot in Queensland History!
A TENERIFFE resident wrote to say that he had the privilege of growing up in Highgate Hill next door to famous Queensland sculptor Daphne Mayo.
His one regret is that he was too busy when the artist offered to paint his portrait – unlike the young woman who was Daphne’s other neighbour…
Enjoy the full story in […]
At the Merthyr Road Uniting Church Centre polling station, the History Society’s display and book-selling benefitted from a high-visibility position in front of those queuing to vote in the 2017 Queensland State Election.
As a result, 39 books were sold, several joined as members, and many more signed up to receive the free online newsletter. The display […]
THE New Farm Croquet Club adjoined the New Farm Bowls Club. The two homes in the background facing Lower Bowen Terrace are (from left) Sandford (No. 595) and Duddingston (No. 591).
The patroness of the Club in 1921 was Mrs J.N. McCallum. The McCallum family home, Duddingston, was very convenient to the club!
Both magnificent homes still stand, and […]
OUR SOCIETY is the “Featured Historical Society” in the latest E-bulletin of the Canberra-based Federation of Australian Historical Societies, which represents around 1,000 historical and heritage societies in Australia.
Dr Bernadette Flynn, the Federation’s Online Outreach Officer, happened to stay at Teneriffe when she was attending the Federation’s AGM at the Royal Historical Society […]
RAVENSWOOD, Casa del Rio and Casa del Mar were conceived in 1930 as part of a group of four apartment buildings, or “flats”, around a common courtyard, with a tennis court, gardens and a garage, to be built in the thirties. Today a tennis court has been reinstalled, but is now owned by the more […]
Brisbane’s first local government power station was an early project of the Jolly Council (the first Council of Greater Brisbane) built on land that had been purchased by Brisbane Council in 1915 for a park – the site of the former first racecourse of Brisbane. The new Greater Brisbane Council resumed part of New Farm […]
This article draws on the excellent history by Michael Moy, Story Bridge: Idea to Icon, as well as articles and information.
This fine structure is an icon for many New Farm residents as well as Brisbane and Queensland people. In 1926 the new Brisbane City Council recommended the building of a bridge linking Kangaroo Point to […]