Heal Street was originally called Tamrookum Street, named after Tamrookum, a grazing property on the Logan River, near Rathdowney, acquired by Hon. William Barker, whom Barker Street was named after.
Barker held this property until his death, on 22nd December 1886. Barker had rented Shafston House in nearby Kangaroo Point, but later bought Nunnington, […]
The making of this street and its subsequent renaming was to end a long standing friendship.
The Pearl King, James Clark, bought land in the southern part of the peninsular where his pearl luggers used to tie up. It encompassed the area from the River to what is now Elystan Road, between Bowen Terrace and Turner […]
Brian arrived in New Farm in 1944 at the age of three years. His father was a telephone technician and his mother a central telegraph operator. Their work was essential for the war effort. After arriving in Brisbane they settled at Kedron but this was too far from the city to be convenient for shift […]
In conversation, August 2010
Donna was the youngest child of Eileen and Gordon Neal. She had a sister, Allwyn who was 3 years older to her. The family originally owned a cattle property outside Charters Towers. It was during the days of the depression, and many people in Queensland sold their properties and moved towards the […]
One of the more interesting historic houses of New Farm still extant is situated on the north-east corner of Moray and Sydney Street. In 1888, the two allotments on this corner, formally part of the Kinellan Estate of Sir Robert Ramsay McKenzie, were combined into one title by Leopold Solomon Benjamin, a prominent […]
James Clark was born on the 2nd October 1858 on the Hunter River in NSW to parents Adam and Louisa (nee Sheaff). Adam Clark was a fisherman, but drowned around 1861 when James was three. At the age of 12, James came to Brisbane and found work two years later in 1872 at James Campbell […]