FOR years after 1996, the area now known as Gasworks was an overgrown wasteland, languishing behind a wire fence. At last around 2004, something began happen, and the catchword of the day was ‘remediation’. This required innumerable truckloads of waste ground being carted away, to be replaced by clean material of the kind you see […]
A TENERIFFE resident wrote to say that he had the privilege of growing up in Highgate Hill next door to famous Queensland sculptor Daphne Mayo.
His one regret is that he was too busy when the artist offered to paint his portrait – unlike the young woman who was Daphne’s other neighbour…
Enjoy the full story in […]
THE New Farm Croquet Club adjoined the New Farm Bowls Club. The two homes in the background facing Lower Bowen Terrace are (from left) Sandford (No. 595) and Duddingston (No. 591).
The patroness of the Club in 1921 was Mrs J.N. McCallum. The McCallum family home, Duddingston, was very convenient to the club!
Both magnificent homes still stand, and […]
Some years ago, the Kangaroo Point Neighbourhood Watch group produced a Heritage Walk booklet detailing a trail around Kangaroo Point visiting the many existing heritage locations. The booklet is available for a gold-coin donation. Try the Medley Café, next to Yungaba on the east side of Kangaroo Point (incidentally a great place for coffee or […]
During the late 1880s and early 1900s, New Farm, and especially the area around Moray Street, was the place to be—a sort of semi-rural retreat for politicians, lawyers, wealthy merchants, and property speculators.
Of the many fine residences that once graced leafy Moray Street in those days, only a handful have survived including the recently restored […]
RAVENSWOOD, Casa del Rio and Casa del Mar were conceived in 1930 as part of a group of four apartment buildings, or “flats”, around a common courtyard, with a tennis court, gardens and a garage, to be built in the thirties. Today a tennis court has been reinstalled, but is now owned by the more […]
Brisbane’s first local government power station was an early project of the Jolly Council (the first Council of Greater Brisbane) built on land that had been purchased by Brisbane Council in 1915 for a park – the site of the former first racecourse of Brisbane. The new Greater Brisbane Council resumed part of New Farm […]
This article draws on the excellent history by Michael Moy, Story Bridge: Idea to Icon, as well as articles and information.
This fine structure is an icon for many New Farm residents as well as Brisbane and Queensland people. In 1926 the new Brisbane City Council recommended the building of a bridge linking Kangaroo Point to […]
27 August 2008
IN 1935 Jack lost his father, who passed away in the General Hospital from peritonitis. He was survived by his wife Ruth and two children, a girl named Joyce and a son two years younger, Jack. (Jack was born in the Craigneish Private Hospital on Moray Street. It was owned and operated by […]
1888 – Grandfather Marchant joined Mr. J 0’Brien in setting up a paper bag manufacturing business. It opened in Roma Street and later moved to the corner of Barry Parade and Gipps Street, Fortitude Valley. This business was named O’Brien and Marchant.
1923 – William Marchant retired and established his two sons, John Scott Marchant and […]