Articles

First Walk and Prelude to the formation of the New Farm & Districts Historical Society

On a Saturday morning in February 1994 Councillor David Hinchliffe invited residents of New Farm to join him in a historical walk of New Farm.  With notices in the Library and mention in the local news, about forty residents met at the Holy Spirit School in Villiers Street. David invited residents to contribute to the

First Walk and Prelude to the formation of the New Farm & Districts Historical Society Read More »

New Farm Bowls Club

New Farm Bowls Club is said to be the fourth oldest bowls club in Brisbane. The beginning of the New Farm Bowls Club at 969 Brunswick Street dates from 1905, when the Turner’s paddock part of the Kinellan Estate was bought by Messrs G. G. Muller and J. N. McCallum. They then sold the land

New Farm Bowls Club Read More »

New Farm Library

In 1960, the Brisbane City Council planned to build a Library in Brunswick Street and two buildings were demolished to make way for the construction. It was to be called the New Farm District Library. At that time local residents had to travel all the way to Hamilton Library or into the City to borrow

New Farm Library Read More »

Story Bridge

This article draws on the excellent history by Michael Moy, Story Bridge: Idea to Icon, as well as articles and information. This fine structure is an icon for many New Farm residents as well as Brisbane and Queensland people. In 1926 the new Brisbane City Council recommended the building of a bridge linking Kangaroo Point

Story Bridge Read More »

Scroll to Top