Heal Street, New Farm

Heal Street was originally called Tamrookum Street, named after Tamrookum, a grazing property on the Logan River, near Rathdowney, acquired by Hon. William Barker, whom Barker Street was named after. Barker held this property until his death, on 22nd December 1886. Barker had rented Shafston House in nearby Kangaroo Point, but later bought Nunnington, which …

Heal Street, New Farm Read More »

Oxlade Drive

The making of this street and its subsequent renaming was to end a long standing friendship. The Pearl King, James Clark, bought land in the southern part of the peninsular where his pearl luggers used to tie up. It encompassed the area from the River to what is now Elystan Road, between Bowen Terrace and …

Oxlade Drive Read More »

First Walk and Prelude to the formation of the New Farm & Districts Historical Society

On a Saturday morning in February 1994 Councillor David Hinchliffe invited residents of New Farm to join him in a historical walk of New Farm.  With notices in the Library and mention in the local news, about forty residents met at the Holy Spirit School in Villiers Street. David invited residents to contribute to the …

First Walk and Prelude to the formation of the New Farm & Districts Historical Society Read More »

Scroll to Top