Homes With History
The New Farm locality was once a semi-rural retreat for a few well-heeled families on well-chosen sites. Gradually, the large estates gave way to gentlemen’s villas and workers’ cottages. Many of those original homes – whether modest or grand – have not survived, but luckily, an impressive variety of houses from earlier eras still remains.
While this snapshot of more than 20 local homes notes architectural details, the main focus is upon people – those who built the houses, the architects who designed them, and the successive residents and families who occupied and adapted them.
Read the speech from The Honourable Penelope Wensley AC on the launch of “HOMES with HISTORY on the New Farm Peninsula” – Written by Gerard Benjamin.
Audio and DVDs
Did you miss a talk?
Our archives contain a range of audio and video files that are now available to order for $5 plus postage and handling.
- Abbott Street
- Coronet Court
- I, Thomas Welsby by Dr. J Lergessner
- Bryan Oxlade Story
- NFSS Class Photos 1912 – 1991
- The Little Red Brick Building and US Navy Submarine Base
- NFSS Clippings
- CSR Refinery
- Brisbane Riverine Floods
Tides of Teneriffe
Author Vicki Bridgstock steers readers through the flow of Teneriffe’s history and local memories.
From hunting for tortoises with the Turrbal people to living in one of our choice inner city locations, enjoy this journey interspersed with historic images and never-before-published family photos of life in Teneriffe.
Reflections on New Farm
Few suburbs in Brisbane can boast a higher ‘brand recognition’ than New Farm.
However it’s not widely known that this was the site of the ‘new farm’ worked by convicts from 1828.
Nor is it widely known that the remains of 1870s lime kilns can still be seen on the riverbank below Julius Street, or that Dulcie Markham, known as the “Angel of Death” because of her Sydney and Melbourne underworld notoriety, took up residence here in the 1940s.
Reflections on New Farm Order Form
The late Gladys Blundell painted 60 watercolours as a collection in 1997. She donated the collection to the Society. Some of the paintings are on display in the New Farm Library and the remainder can be viewed on request to the Society. Her inspiration came from photographic collections, research and various heritage trails through the area. Gladys’ work brings back to life many vistas of New Farm that are long gone.