28th October 2017
This year, the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital celebrates 150 years of nursing and midwifery, so the timing is perfect for Dr Cliff Pollard to recount some of the highlights of this venerable institution.
The first public hospital in Brisbane was established on 12 January 1849 near the site of the recently-demolished Supreme Court buildings in George Street. It served a vast area including the Darling Downs, Wide Bay, Burnett and Maranoa districts. In its first year, it treated 94 patients.
A new hospital was built on the RBWH’s present site at Herston, and patients were moved in from the George Street hospital on 8th January 1867. The first nurses graduated from the hospital in 1888.
There’s so much more to this story, so we are honoured to have Associate Professor Cliff Pollard, a retired general surgeon and RBWH Foundation board member, to relate the stories behind the historical highlights.
Merthyr Road Uniting Church Centre | 2-4pm.
All are welcome, so be sure to bring your acquaintances. For more details, please phone 0409 498 402.